Everything else in this blog is true

Thursday, December 28, 2006

My first semester of med school

Hi. I know I've been gone for a while, but that's only because I've been in medical school. It's about the best excuse I've ever heard, besides being dead.

So med school is simultaneously awesome and anti-awesome. The awesome part is that I've been exposed to some really incredible situations, some world class professors and a whole new group of friends. The anti-awesome part is that every waking moment is spent studying because you know you're going to get another lifetime's worth of knowledge to memorize in lecture the next day.

Incredible Situation Example - For the past 6 weeks we've been doing Gross Anatomy. Think brightly lit room with stainless steel cabinets, rough linoleum floor pockmarked with drains, loud exhaust fans, 33 clueless students in puke green scrubs and 8 dead people marinading in blue zippered-up body bags. We're put in groups with color and number designations. I was in group Blue 3. On Blue dissection days, only members of Blue groups would dissect. And on the next dissection day, the Blue team would present what we'd dissected to the rest of the class while the next color would begin their own dissections. Since the presentations were made in shifts, we really had multiple opportunities to learn our anatomy. After all, who wants to present something without knowing what they're talking about?

Anyway, the particular dissections you are assigned is just the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get a good one, sometimes you get a bad one. For instance, my buddy and I were assigned Male Genitalia and even though I had cut into our cadaver many times in the past, I still found myself apologizing to him just before I slit his scrotum open with a scalpel. Of course, 2 hours later we were pulling and ripping things in there like unskilled day laborers pulling up shag carpeting. BUT... we were also fortunate enough to be assigned the brain dissection. This is fantastic because I got to combine my love of body spelunking with my love for power tools. Yes, I had a big whirring power saw in my gloved hands, which I slowly worked all the way around my cadaver's skull; juices and powdered bone flying all over the place. I thought I was in heaven, but I was only in the waiting room. The real thing was when I was given a large, steel flat-head screwdriver with a T-handle and told to insert it into the cut I had just made with the power saw and then "keep twisting it until the skull cap loosens." I stood back with a goofy smile on my face thinking about how lucky I was to be doing something that the majority of the world will never experience. Then my buddy asked me what the hell I was doing. He agreed that we were lucky but he also reminded me that we still needed to remove the brain and identify all 12 cranial nerves. It was a good day.

Filed in:

2 Comments:

Blogger Eric Mortensen said...

i don't know how you do it. i'm not particularly grossed out by any of it...but i don't know that i could do the cutting.

i'm not judging at all...but i can't fight the overwhelming feeling that i'm doing something wrong...even tho i don't really have any problem with the notion of donating my own body to science.

5:57 PM EST

 
Blogger Myles said...

You should definitely donate if you're thinking about it. It's hard to get families to donate their loved ones to a medical school, especially if they die unexpectedly. They usually don't want to think about them being poked or prodded (or whizzed open with an electric saw).

On the last day of class we had a really nice memorial service for the people that donated their bodies to us. The lab was dim and lots of incense was burning. Each of the bodies was closed inside of their stainless steel 'caskets' and a bunch of flowers was placed on top of each one. All of us students stood in a big circle around the bodies with an unlit candle. The professor lit his candle first, stepped forward and said a few words about how the bodies had once been real people with real relationships and emotions (easy to forget when you're digging around for a specific nerve or organ), then lit the candle of the student to his left. This continued on for about 40 minutes. When it was my turn I said something about how fortunate we were to be living in a culture and in a time when we're given the opportunity to do this kind of experimenting. In the past people were lynched or tortured for "defiling the deceased".

Then 5 minutes after my turn, the last student decided to say a prayer to god to thank him for the blessings he had bestowed upon us. I wondered if the people in the metal boxes had prayed to the same god when they got cancer or had their heart attacks.

Anyway, the ceremony was a really good idea and gave us a real sense of closure to a dizzying 9 week anatomy course. So you should do it, Glitch. But maybe try working out or something first. And if you don't already have a giant penis, try to get one before you die. 9 weeks is a long time for a class of freshmen med students to refer to your body as "the one with the frightened turtle."

10:51 PM EST

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home